[thelist] Web Host NT Setup Help

Bart Posselt BPOSSELT at dineout.org
Wed Jul 18 09:23:40 CDT 2001

Network Solutions needs the domain name server information, which you get from the Web hosting company or ISP and is usually a mix of letters and numbers. There are always two, a primary and a secondary. Do a lookup on anyone's Web address and you'll see what they look like.

The DNS points to the hosting company, which in turn points a browser to the correct IP number for your server. Once Network Solutions has the DNS info, it'll take 3-5 days for it to propagate throughout the Internet.

 From your post, it sounds like you might be setting this up in-house, in which case you may need to set up a DNS of your own. Check out http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q237/6/75.ASP but scroll down to find the right info. It's for W2K, but it should be a similar setup for NT. If you expect heavy traffic, you may want to get a separate box or consider outsourcing. I recommend buying a couple books on TCP/IP and IIS (if that's what you're using as the Web server) that can walk you through the process.

Bart

Bart Posselt
Web Site Manager
National Restaurant Association
www.restaurant.org

>>> michael at tdh-marketing.com 07/18/01 08:32AM >>>
When I attempt to tell Network Solutions that I wish to have the domain
point to the server using the IP address, I get an error stating that I need
to use Alphanumeric etc..

Michael