[thelist] (no subject)

Rob Oviatt applebyweb at nb.aibn.com
Wed Jul 18 17:47:19 CDT 2001

My boss had me design a popup that loads using an onLoad command on our
front page of our web site.  Basically how it works is the person comes to
our site, their main browser loads the main page, and a small 300x200 popup
appears with an ad offering a free mousepad.  They have the choice of
either closing the popup or clicking on order, at which time the popup
closes and a form is loaded into the main browser window.

The problem I'm having is with Netscape 4.7 on both Mac and Windows systems
(NS  6 seems to work fine). As soon as the popup opens, the main window
browser stops updating it's display.  It is still loading in all the
graphics and such (according to activity in status bar), but it doesn't
display them.  I suspect that this might have to do with the fact that as
soon as the popup opens, the main browser window is no longer the focus and
that NS4.7 won't redraw it's display once a page has been loaded, and
reloading would only reload the popup and start the cycle all over.

I think a timer in the popup function causing a delay in the opening up of
the popup might do the trick, but the page is quite heavy in graphics
(professional photo lab), and many of our visitors will be using dialup,
which would make a timer an iffy solution due to the wide variance in
download times.

Is there any other way of forcing the popup to wait until the page is
complete loaded before opening?  Or is there a way of opening the popup
without affecting (effecting?) the loading and display of the page in the
main browser?

Rob Oviatt
PS: If this shows up twice sorry.

Web Developer / Typesetter