[thelist] foreign characters

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Fri Jul 20 18:54:35 CDT 2001

PageHealer wrote:

> They are providing me all of the content in both languages, but I am having
> problems with the character sets (many of the foreign characters aren't part
> of our standard charset=iso-8859-1)

what exactly is the nature of the problem?

<tip type="so weird you probably don't care, but kinda related">

Environment: Sun(SPARC)/Solaris + Nescape 4.7x
             iPlanet Web server, JRun, Epicentric Portal Server

The font specs in the style sheet I'd created weren't being
rendered - at all - *but*:

it worked fine in Netscape on Windows laptops,

  -and-

it worked fine in Netscape on Sun

  if the rendered version was captured by save-as into index.html
    and served through the Web server,

  -or-

  if the rendered version was captured by save-as into index1.jsp
  and served through JRun without any of the Epicentric includes.

WTF?

Finally noticed today that the Epicentric code was defining the
output as "charset=UTC-8"; changing it to "ISO-8859-1" fixed it ...

Joy.

</tip>

Lesson: character set defs count sometimes ...
--
H*
Hassan Schroeder ----------------------------- hassan at webtuitive.com
Webtuitive Design ---(+1) 408-938-0567 --- http://www.webtuitive.com

    -- creating dynamic Web sites and applications since 1994 --