[thelist] The XP Deal?

Tony Crockford tonyc at boldfish.co.uk
Sat Jul 21 02:40:02 CDT 2001

Sadly this is a typical case of greed and paranoia.

IMHO it is dishonest people and businesses that believe that everyone
else is intrinsically dishonest, where I'm sure the opposite is true.

In a need for ever more $ MS assumes that since they're not selling as
many copies as they hoped that everyone is ripping them off.

I don't think the scheme will last though.

Imagine all the overhead of supporting a phone line for people to
reregister their copy - imagine those of us who ring up and say they've
had to reinstall their copy due to hard disk failure, when in fact we're
now on a new machine - how exactly will Microsoft keep track of this.

I think this just opens the door for more piracy not less.  And yes,
Linux will be the answer in the long run - when will Microsoft wake up
to the fact that everything they do is taking them nearer the edge?