[thelist] The XP Deal?

Daniel S. O'Shea doshea at surfree.com
Sun Jul 22 00:13:51 CDT 2001

> Holy Off-Topic, Batman! Where are your tips??

First off, it's not off topic. I've seen posts regarding a number of MS
programs, suites, operating systems, etc. Since when do these topics become
'off-topic'...and why did you not mention the XP topic IS 'off-topic' before
this post?  hmmmm.....

> First of all, the initial activation of Windows XP can be done over the
> Internet or over the phone line.  Doing it over the Net creates a snapshot
> of certain pieces of you machine's hardware.

Yea...let me dial right into MS, I'm sure that'll work when a client needs
me to do something right away and we have to get the operating system up!
mmmmmhhmmmm.

> If you change 4 pieces of those hardware within a certain timeframe, you
> will have to re-activate your copy by calling Microsoft. They
> will then give
> you a new key.  (Note, they recently relaxed the rules . . . it
> used to be 4
> pieces of hardware at all.  It's now "within a yet-to-be-determined time
> frame")

4 peices???? Just the fact they're coming down to my system and KNOWING
about my pieces scares the hell out of me!!! Let alone having to buy TWO
XP's because I have it on my desk top AND my notebook to get work done on
the road!

> It's really not a big deal.

If the above really isn't a big, we've lost already.

> Now, since this has not even mentioned web development in any way shape or
> form:

You want me to resubmit ALL the topics that you would now consider
'off-topic' if this one is?? This list membership would have to receive a
sh&tload of already submitted email that would take two days to download.
For the sake of everyone else, I won't do it.

But you ask all of us who've learned, spent money on a ton of MS products
that do relate to the web, and this one does too, you'd know that there is
big concern about whether we have to learn all over or give in to them.

<tip>Open your eyes</tip>

Dan O.