[thelist] The XP Deal?

Scott Brady evolt at scottbrady.net
Sun Jul 22 09:47:13 CDT 2001

> First off, it's not off topic. I've seen posts regarding a number of MS
> programs, suites, operating systems, etc. Since when do these topics
become
> 'off-topic'...and why did you not mention the XP topic IS 'off-topic'
before
> this post?  hmmmm.....

And did those include tips?  I know the last time I brought up Windows XP, I
included a tip.  I sent this post a long time before it appeared (my mail
server seems to be having some troubles, so things are taking a while to get
there, it seems).  I don't reply to posts I think are off-topic just to
remind them to give a tip unless I have something to add in reply (and I
included a tip).

> Yea...let me dial right into MS, I'm sure that'll work when a client needs
> me to do something right away and we have to get the operating system up!
> mmmmmhhmmmm.

It adds about 2 minutes to the installation process.  If you have to install
the O/S before doing something for you client, those 2 minutes won't make
much difference overall. (I'm not sure about the time the phone activation
will take, admittedly).

> You want me to resubmit ALL the topics that you would now consider
> 'off-topic' if this one is?? This list membership would have to receive a
> sh&tload of already submitted email that would take two days to download.
> For the sake of everyone else, I won't do it.

As long as you include tips, sure. :)

I'm not saying people don't post off-topic posts without tips.  However, if
you follow those threads, usually someone will remind them that it's
off-topic and they need tips.  Don't act like this is the first time someone
brought up the lack of tips for off-topic posts.  Perhaps not as abruptly (I
was going for humor, which apparently didn't come through very well), but
they do.

> But you ask all of us who've learned, spent money on a ton of MS products
> that do relate to the web, and this one does too, you'd know that there is
> big concern about whether we have to learn all over or give in to them.

Windows XP relates to web development when discussing things like IIS and
IE6.  Nowhere have this topic even TOUCHED web-related aspects of Windows
XP.  (Another time I brought up Windows XP and IE6, it was regarding
font-sizes, which IS web-related).

If you want to discuss this more, I'd suggest taking it off-list. (I prefer
off-list, because I have trouble coming up with new tips . . .)

> <tip>Open your eyes</tip>

Real nice tip.  My eyes are wide open, thank you.  I've even gone through
the activation process with Windows XP RC1. Have you?

<tip>
Did you take the Allaire Cold Fusion 4.5 Certification exam and now dread
having to shell out another $150US for the CF 5 Certification?

Not to worry.  According to an e-mail I got from Macromedia (in response to
a question I sent), they said that all 4.5 Certifications are being
grandfathered in to the CF 5 Certifications.

Also, if you scored over 80%, you get put into a higher classifcatio (Master
Level, or something).
</tip>

Scott
Scott Brady