[thelist] The XP Deal?

Daniel S. O'Shea doshea at surfree.com
Sun Jul 22 12:25:35 CDT 2001

> [name trimmed, since this isn't a reprimand]
> [...]
> > First off, it's not off topic. I've seen posts regarding a number of
> > MS programs, suites, operating systems, etc. Since when do these
> > topics become 'off-topic'...and why did you not mention the XP topic
> > IS 'off-topic' before this post?  hmmmm.....
>
> if it doesn't deal with web development, it's off-topic... however,
> many threads pop up briefly that aren't quite on-topic, but they tend
> to be brief and include tips... if a thread goes on forever, then an
> admin might suggest it get moved to thechat...

Now you've got me confused. Specifically, what is meant by 'off-topic'. I
went to the 'guidelines' and this is all it says about 'off-topic'-

"Limited off-topic posts are fine; however they must be labelled [OT] in the
subject line. Also, we ask that you "pay" for off-topic posts by including a
Web tip that you find useful."

So I went to categories which I assume are 'on-topic' and it lists
'software'. I've seen many long threads on OS software, 95, 98, NT and 2000,
which I have always considered a 'web development topic.' and tips have
rarely been left.

Now, maybe I should be corrected, OS's on this list are 'off-topic' and
mention of them should be left a tip? That's a hell of a lot of tips. My
concern is that a number of people will stop posting about the OS's because
of the tips that would have to be left.

...and what other software issues are there that are 'off-topic' even though
the categories section just lists 'software'. Maybe I'm missing something,
and if I am, I will accept ignorance...please enlighten.

> [...]
> > <tip>Open your eyes</tip>
>
> this is not a good tip... it's also a bit combative... neither of
> those is
> appropriate for the list...

I agree, which is why I apologized and left one in my prior post. The MS XP
issue is one I have to learn to control myself over.   ;-)

Dan O.