[thelist] The XP Deal?

Warden, Matt mwarden at mattwarden.com
Sun Jul 22 12:44:30 CDT 2001

On Jul 22, Daniel S. O'Shea had something to say about RE: [thelist] The XP...

>> if it doesn't deal with web development, it's off-topic... however,
>> many threads pop up briefly that aren't quite on-topic, but they tend
>> to be brief and include tips... if a thread goes on forever, then an
>> admin might suggest it get moved to thechat...
>
>Now you've got me confused. Specifically, what is meant by 'off-topic'. I
>went to the 'guidelines' and this is all it says about 'off-topic'-
>
>"Limited off-topic posts are fine; however they must be labelled [OT] in the
>subject line. Also, we ask that you "pay" for off-topic posts by including a
>Web tip that you find useful."
>
>So I went to categories which I assume are 'on-topic' and it lists
>'software'. I've seen many long threads on OS software, 95, 98, NT and 2000,
>which I have always considered a 'web development topic.' and tips have
>rarely been left.

OS software is a gray area. Asking "what do you think about OS A?" could
be off-topic while "what do you think about OS A as a server platform?" or
"what do you think abtou OS A as a web development workstation
platform?" are both certainly on-topic.

But, gray areas are what tips are for. Better to be safe than sorry, I
always say.

And all that really matters is how thelist's members view "off-topic".

>Now, maybe I should be corrected, OS's on this list are 'off-topic' and
>mention of them should be left a tip? That's a hell of a lot of tips. My
>concern is that a number of people will stop posting about the OS's because
>of the tips that would have to be left.

Tips aren't deterrents. They're a method to make an off-topic or gray-area
post more acceptable.

We see "what flavor of linux should I use?" posts all the time. They
rarely include tips (though they probably should). No one beats them
senselessly with an iron rod, unless the thread continues or evolves into
something even more off-topic (as this thread has).

One way to bring this discussion on-topic is to talk about software
(application and web-based) licensing (which is what this is all
about). You might be surprised by this, dan, but most software licenses
already don't allow you to install one license on many many computers. You
usually have to buy multiple licenses or a special license. So, the XP
stuff isn't anything new... it's just trying to find a way for MS to
enforce this license.

As for your comparison to an audio CD, other than making a copy for
archival purposes, you can not purchase a CD and then make a thousand
copies of it (as I understand it, anyway). Same with software. You can't
make a thousand copies of the Adobe Photoshop CD and install it on your
ten computers. That's why companies have to buy multiple-install licenses
for their employees computers.

>...and what other software issues are there that are 'off-topic' even though
>the categories section just lists 'software'. Maybe I'm missing something,
>and if I am, I will accept ignorance...please enlighten.

One thing i *do* know is meta-discussions about what is off-topic, *IS*
offtopic. So, I'll include a tip:

<tip>
Modularization of code is a good idea. It helps promote encapsulation in a
team environment which leads to better productivity, as team members
tasked with a specific duty don't have to learn the entire
system.

See http://www.fusebox.org for more information on this type of
programming.

</tip>