[thelist] Frames, Javascript and IE 5.5 continued....

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Mon Jul 23 09:39:13 CDT 2001

Katherine,

> Peter's right - I've just tried this and had no joy at all :-(
> Any other ideas? (please :-)

    You are right -- this page is a mess! Some things that I noticed:

* Your frameset document (frameset.pl) contains a body element. The frameset
element and the body element are mutually exclusive, so the body element
should be removed.

* The frameset element is contained within the head of the document; it
should follow the head, just as the body does.

* When I debug the page using MS VisualStudio's MDE, there is a clear
problem with the first script element on the page named contentframe.pl. It
appears that you are generating your client-side script on the server, but
that some error occurs when you are generating the else portion of the
script:

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1">
<!--
 with(document) {
  write('<FRAMESET FRAMEBORDER=0 FRAMESPACING=0 ROWS="95,*" FRAMEBORDER="no"
BORDER=0 NORESIZE>');
   write('<FRAME
SRC="/cgi-bin/third-js.pl?ml=aboutacu&sl=aboutacu&select=aboutacu"
NAME="acuthird" MARGINWIDTH=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 SCROLLING="NO" NORESIZE
BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">');
} else {

print <<"ENDPRINT";
<HTML>
<HEAD>
<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript1.1">

    I checked this with IE 5.01 on W2K, btw. I suggest cleaning up these
items and then giving it another go.

hth,
James Aylard