[thelist] Sole proprietor

Rachell Coe rachell at coeville.com
Mon Jul 23 12:18:08 CDT 2001

The answer to this depends upon which state you are operating from.  Usually
you need to contact your 'Secretary of State' and they will have a some type
of 'new business' packet that they will send out to you that details all of
your requirements.  I'm pretty fortunate because in Oregon (which is where I
live and operate) all I needed to do when I started was to register my
business name with my county and add 'DBA MY BUSINESS NAME' to my checking
account. Of course this is the minimum set-up -- you could get as
complicated as you like ;).

Another good resource to starting a sole proprietorship is 'The Business
Side Of Creativity' by Cameron Foote.

One thing I would recommend is to consider setting your business up as a
'Limited Liability Company' instead of as a sole proprietor. If your state
allows this type of organization, it is really easy to set up (registration
is only $40), will work for 1 person companies, and will protect you if you
get sued (as an LLC, only your business assets would be vulnerable -- they
couldn't touch your personal assets).  If you are interested in an LLC, and
have any questions, please contact me.

Good Luck!

Rachell Coe
Bluhand Design LLC (formally known as CoeVille)
(541) 607-1886
http://www.bluhanddesign.com