Fw: [thelist] best PHP Book anybody?

Seb seb at members.evolt.org
Mon Jul 23 13:19:55 CDT 2001

> This isn't purely PHP, but if you can get your hands on MySQL/PHP Database
> applications, it's worth it.  The CD, I'd probably leave in the case for a
> collector's item (you can get more up to date copies of MySQL and PHP on
> the web), but it goes over a lot of good database theory that you'll
> eventually need.

I'd have to agree. I got Jay + Brad's book delivered by Amazon this morning
and have finished the first 3 parts already. The book has some excellent
(and actually useful) examples, and the writing style is extremely fluid and
natural. The Threaded Discussion sample app is exactly the kind of thing
that you see at the bottom of so many community pages (such as evolt.org,
for a start).

Of course, your mileage will definitely vary. As someone who picked up PHP
from an out-of-date copy in my Mandrake install about 3 weeks ago, and who
has never read any dead trees about DB design, there's a lot of theory in
there that I understand, but is good to have reinforced. As someone who has
been programming since I was old enough to read and write and can pick up
most languages in the space of a weekend, there's a lot of chapter skipping
to get to the meat.

If you're looking for a book to take you through PHP or mySQL for the first
time definitely go for this book. (ISBN: 0-7645-3537-4). Just be prepared to
read the examples carefully to avoid the many spelling mistakes. (Obviously
typesetting problems, Jay. :)

Seb
http://www.sebpotter.org