[thelist] VIRUS!!

webmaster at menouno.com webmaster at menouno.com
Mon Jul 23 18:03:00 CDT 2001

On 23 Jul 2001, at 18:38, Daniel S. O'Shea wrote about [thelist] VIRUS!!:

> For those of you who may have a disagreement with anyone on the list,
> please beware. On Sunday I had a disagreement on this list concerning
> XP. Since then, I've received 6 emails that have an attached file that
> contains the W32.Sircam.Worm at mm virus.

Sircam sends itself. Sure, it could also be sent, but I would bet
that somebody you know got an infected pc, and the worm is hopping
around among different people (a group of friends?) that have your
address recorded.

Anyway, checking the messages headers would let you verify if all
your worms are coming from the same machine/IP or not.

Suggested reading:
http://www.kav.ch/avpve/worms/email/sircam.stm

[...]

> Do I believe possibly it was sent by someone else on this list?
> Yes. Last year I had almost 6 million hits on my site and not one
> email with a virus on it. This year, with the numbers running better,
> I had no email with a virus in it until after Sunday's disagreement.

Trickier worms and more fools using LookOut.
I never got a virus or worm by e-mail until Hybris came out late last
year. Since then, I get almost one a day, from every continent,
thanks to some of my addresses circulating on spam CDs. And I got my
first copy of Sircam less that 12 hours after the first warning.

I think you should trust the other Listers a bit more - and keep
arguing happily   ;-)

ciao

Massimo