[thelist] VIRUS!!

Scott Brady evolt at scottbrady.net
Mon Jul 23 22:47:53 CDT 2001

> I think highly it is. Especially when I've received several hundred emails
> day and for a year have not received one virus. Below is the same header
in
> all six, starting the day after the disagreement.

Yes, but this is a new virus (is it a virus or a worm, I never know) that
reached it's peak about that same time.  After going to Symantec's site, I
see that they've upgraded the threat for this thing, so it's a pretty big
deal.

Even keeping anti-virus software up-to-date won't help the first couple of
days that a new one hits.

Now, were you actually infected with this virus, or did you just see it and
delete it?

It's quite likely that you got this virus from someone on this list, but not
intentionally.  (Just to make sure, I downloaded a fix-it program from
Symantec to check, and I was not infected, so it wasn't me).

Now, since I'm the person you argued with on the XP topic, so I'm assuming
you think it's me.  You can believe that if you want.  However, I have
neither the technical know-how nor the interest in faking mail headers.  I
also wouldn't stoop to something so petty.  I try not to take things
personally, and I hope you don't as well.

If you're ever on the Motley Fool boards (such as Microsoft) and you see
dsbrady, that's me.  You will also see that I can go through a lot of
debates there, as well, and some of them get as vehement as our XP debate
did.  You'll also see that I can also joke with those same people. Sometimes
my attitude can seem  . . . condescending, and that's not what I try to do.
And when I realize that, I apologize for it.

So, since my attitude might have been somewhat harsh in our XP debate, I
apologize for that.  The written word sucks, sometimes.  If you knew me in
person, you'd know me as someone who is very easy-going and always making
jokes.  Of course, those jokes written down seem offensive, quite often.

What we had was a debate.  It's what I like to do (not that I'm always good
at it).  It's not an argument, and it's most certainly not something to send
viruses out for.  (that's what political debates are for .. . I'm kidding.)

(This is what happens when an Irish man and an American who's half-Irish
start to debate. . . .)

For what it's worth, I would expect any mail I send out to have a header
from msn.com, because that's what I'm using for now (and boy does it suck .
. . .).

Scott

Oy, another tip.  I used up my best one for tonight already, but here goes:

<tip>
Always keep your virus software up-to-date.

Note: If you upgrade from Windows 98 to Windows XP, you'll need to buy new
software if you use Norton Anti-Virus, because it has a different version
for Win 98/Me and for Windows NT/2000 (which is what XP essentially is).

It's $40, but it's worth it.
</tip>

Because I have no brains, I'm gonna give another related tip.  Hopefully, no
more off-topic posts for me for a while.

<tip>
If you're using Outlook, Outlook Express, or any other e-mail client, for
that matter, make sure you've secured it as much as possible from viruses
and such.  Don't let it automatically run things in the preview pane or upon
opening it.
</tip>

Scott