[thelist] generic userIDs with htaccess

Tony Grimes algrimes at acs.ucalgary.ca
Mon Jul 23 23:46:01 CDT 2001

     Is there a way to specify a generic userID using htaccess? For
example, my client wants all members to enter their company name as a
userID to log into some sections of the web site. They all have
the same password, so is there a way to specify the password only, so that
the user can enter what ever they want as a userID (I know it's not as
secure, but the content isn't that important)? If not, is it possible to
use a database for many (about 100 or so, which changes regularily)
userID/password combinations with htaccess? any help would be much
appreciated.

.tony