[thelist] Site never finished loading on Mac

Simon at Sentient Technologies sentient at keysdigital.com
Wed Jul 25 18:21:18 CDT 2001

At 2:49 PM -0400 on 7/25/01, Eric Benvenue-Jennings wrote:

> I'm running into something that I've seen many times
> but have never seen addressed or discussed. It has to
> do with Mac compatibility and some web sites. Basically,
> when visiting some sites, a page will appear to have
> loaded in it's entirety but my browser acts as if the
> page never finishes loading.
> [snipped]
> First, can some other Mac users duplicate and confirm
> this behavior?
>
> Is there anything that can be done in the coding
> that might address this and/or make the browser
> recognize that the data transfer has been completed?

----------------

Eric,

No problem loading here on a Powerbook (Pismo) using OS 9.1

But you may want to try changing your DOCTYPE from this...

   "http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/loose.dtd">

...to just this...

I'm suggesting this since IE 5 Mac treats a webpage as
"Strict" HTML 4.01 even though you specify "Transitional"
if you include that second line in the DOCTYPE.

HTH,

Simon
"Where are we going and why
 am I in this handbasket?"