[thelist] SQL Order By Clause

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Wed Jul 25 19:14:57 CDT 2001

oh

my

god

i owe a few people an apology

i just sent in my response to michele's question, and sure enough, several
people had already replied telling her to change it from a text field to a
numeric field

i am so sorry

i did not mean you folks when i said DBAs don't think

sheesh

time and time and time again, my attempts at humour fall flat

please, kids, learn from dad's mistakes

never, ever, ever insult anybody

ever

i believe i'll now go drink myself into oblivion

man, i feel stupid

i hope my answer was at least partly useful, michele

by the way, if you want to leave some gaps "in between" numbers to allow
for situations like

   100
   F100
   V100
   101

then when you initially populate the Seq field, do it like this --

     update myTable
       set Seq = ItemNo

followed by

     update myTable
       set Seq = Seq * 10

and then you can slot F100 in at sequnce number 1002,
V100 as sequence 1004, etc.

rudy