[thelist] Mac NN 4.5 (4.05?)

Sam-I-Am sam at sam-i-am.com
Fri Jul 27 15:03:42 CDT 2001

On a whim I search google for Netscape 4.5 download and got:

http://home.netscape.com/download/archive/client_archive45x.html
this looks like a complete archive of all (including foreign language)
releases.. (for who knows how long... might be worth mirroring.
Aarvark?)

...including 2 installers for Netscape 4.5 Mac: 40bit and 128bit

(unfortunately they are complete Communicator installers, and come with
all that crap that Communicator always came with. Unlike the Win
versions I'm not given the option of which components I want to install)

But apart from that I think I'm all good.

In my Mac-ish ignorance can anyone tell me to what extent I can expect
these 2 versions to be truly distinct.. I mean will each install
overwrite shared files, or is it fully self contained? Does the mac
(os9) have an equivalent to the registry?
(I'd like to install 4.0 and up, but this would be a pointless exercise
if for example the actual browser component was overwritten with each
install. )

(so far I can't reproduce the reported bug though..)

thanks
Sam