[thelist] UltraDev/Access - numbers in text fields

Kathleen Heytink K_HEYTINK at winebow.com
Tue Jul 31 15:44:40 CDT 2001

Hi all,

I'm trying to do a simple data collection form using UltraDev and MS Access.
Basically it's an RSVP for an invitation.

The problem is that even though I have the fields in Access set up as text,
it is calculating all the phone numbers.  If I enter 201-445-0620 it comes
into the database as -864.  If I enter it (201) 445-0620 - I get an error
because it's not a valid calculation (missing operator).

Also any zip code that starts with a zero - 07410 - comes out as 7410 -
again as if it was a number not text.

All of my resident database people tell me that Access shouldn't do that.
They think it's the ASP that UltraDev is generating.  I'm not an ASP guru by
any means (or I'd be writing the code myself instead of letting UltraDev do
it. <g>), but I can see anything in the code that would cause the
calculations.

Anyone got any ideas?

Kath Heytink
Web Designer