[thelist] CSS2 and Netscape 4.7 problem

sfmalo sfmalo at msn.com
Wed Aug 1 01:53:21 CDT 2001

ppk wrote:

> This is a known Netscape 4 bug. However, the W3C validator is also known
> be buggy. It would be very silly if one is *required* to declare a
> background, even if you don't want one.
>
> Solution: ignore validator, remove transparent backgrounds.
>
> ppk

Thanks, ppk and rudy for your input.

Rudy, I considered the parent/child inheritance expectation but couldn't
figure out how that would apply to my H1, H2, H3s and a few others. Could
have applied to several bold classes I placed in the CSS file. But W3C gave
me this message for all, not just the bold classifications.

PPK, shortly after I emailed my query, I decided to strip out the nefarious
background-color: transparent from the remote.css file just to be able to
re-upload the revised site. . .and hoping there was a solution. Have now
learned another Netscape quirkiness. And that's the first time I received a
message from W3C about this particular "problem". But, then, I'm venturing
further out in the pond of CSS2 and never got so detailed (and lengthy)
before, glub, glub.

Sharon

> >I just made some revisions to a client's site and what used to be valid
CSS
> >(W3C Validator) no longer is IF I do not include the following in my
> >element descriptors in the remote file:
> >
> >background-color: transparent ;
> >
> >When I did put this into the remote CSS file (starting with H1 and
running
> >all the way down the list) in order to validate, Netscape 4.7 then
> >displayed a bizarre black background on each page, blotting out most of
the
> >background image and black text but showing colored text and images.
> >Everything looks fine in I.E. 5.5 and Netscape 6.01. So, I removed the
> >above and had to take the CSS Validation icon off the Home page. It's
> >either validate or ignore Netscape 4.7.
Sharon F. Malone
"web design and Internet writing services"
http://www.24caratdesign.com