[thelist] Day-to-day workflow related questions

Alan Mccoy amccoy at altairtek.com
Wed Aug 1 10:11:31 CDT 2001

Good for you!! Project is a great program that'll help you really take
control of that shop. Don't let the marketing folks push you into altering
your
timelines. You're still the team leader, even if the team is just you. Carry
that bravado throughout the office and they won't mess with you.

Alan

<tip>
In MS Project, make sure you're not only displaying the the "work" column
(amount of hours) for each task, but also the "duration" column for each
task. A task that will take 12 hours may take 3 days of actual work time
when you factor in all the dependencies, predecessors, and other tasks you
have for each day. This extra bit of info is vital for letting clients know
that a task will often take a while to complete, even though it's a short
task. Also, don't forget to use task leveling for multiple projects. That'll
keep you from overbooking yourself. Also, (wow..I could just go on and on
with this!) use a shared resource pool and then build separate project files
for each project. Then have each project file use that same resource pool
file. Then when task leveling is turned on, you'll be able to see how the
projects affect each other.
</tip>