[thelist] xmlhttp

Brian King BKing at Impact-Technologies.com
Thu Aug 2 07:20:06 CDT 2001

I have to agree.  Server side VBScript should work fine.  MS has some decent
examples out there on using server side VBScript to parse XML.  You
shouldn't use client side VBScripting unless you have some very specific
needs and your environment is controlled, (i.e. all IE, (or all NS users die
a sudden death:)).

Brian W. King

On Aug 1, Tab Alleman had something to say about RE: [thelist] xmlhttp

>and switched to an XML DOMDocument object which is working fine.  But as
>I'm attempting to access attributes, I'm getting a sneaky suspicion that
>this parser is 1) not going to work with my beloved VBScript,

Sure will.

>and 2)
>only works with IE 5+.  Is this correct?

You using ASP or client-side VBScript? If the latter, you're
correct. Otherwise, it will work fine in all browsers, considering it's
server-side.

>Am I going to have to learn
>JSP,

No, though I'm partial to Java's available parsers.