[thelist] How do I handle an anticipated overwhelming load on our server

Rebecca Milot-Bradford RMilot-Bradford at nsca-lift.org
Thu Aug 2 12:26:20 CDT 2001

Hi. First I want to say thanks for all the wisdom you guys dispense on a
daily basis - I have been lurking for a couple of months and thanks to you I
have been inspired to dive into CSS and have reworked an entire web site.

Now for my question:

The non-profit organization I work for has been contacted by a large
national publication that would like to list us as a resource in an article
they will be running. Our Marketing Director wants me to make a packet of
info available for people to download from our web site.

The problem is, we host our site in-house on an NT server that is running
pretty much at capacity, and we have a 256 kbs frame relay connection.
People are talking about possibly a million visitors the day this article
comes out. I don't think our server or our bandwidth can handle it (heck, we
max out our bandwidth at least once a week right now). Any suggestions?

Best Wishes,

Rebecca Milot-Bradford, MBS
NSCA Web Administrator
www.nsca-lift.org