[thelist] Weird Log Entries

Matthew Brooks m at pleonasm.com
Thu Aug 2 16:29:24 CDT 2001

Looking through my server logs tonight, I found dozens of things like this: - - [01/Aug/2001:17:06:53 -0500] "GET
HTTP/1.0" 404 858 "-" "-"

[all on one line in the original, of course]

Each time it comes from a different IP; sometimes the domain names are
shown (e.g. caipsnt.hallym-c.ac.kr), so I can see that they come from all
over the world. No one is clicking on a link for this, otherwise surely the
referring URL would show up, as it does in other log entries where a link
was clicked. The long nonsense string is always exactly the same. Is it
Unicode? How does one translate this?

This happened about a month ago for two days, then stopped. Now here it is

Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

Thanks for any insight.  Matt