[thelist] Perl problem and question

Hassan Schroeder hassan at webtuitive.com
Sat Aug 4 18:02:44 CDT 2001

CDitty wrote:

> I have noticed that perl is not as user friendly (function wise) as say
> PHP.  I have some books that are approx 1 years old.

Hopefully, one of those is the "camel" book -- Programming Perl,
by Wall, Christiansen, & Schwartz (O'Reilly) :-)

> Anyhow, I seem to be having a problem with dates.
> My server date shows the correct date, but in perl, I am a month off.  This
> is the code I am using to get the date/time.
> ($second,$minute,$hour,$month_day,$month,$year) = (localtime)[0,1,2,3,4,5];
> and it is returning 07/04/2001 17:17:6.

The integer returned as $month is an array index starting at 0, so
month 0 is January, month 11 is December.

> Also, I am doing a form submit within this script.  After the form is
> submitted, the information submitted is missing.

A bit vague -- perhaps some code and/or more details ...

#
# but remember - "Perl is the duct tape of the Internet" :-)
#
HTH!
--
H*