[thelist] Default Form Submit Button

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 5 11:52:04 CDT 2001

> From: ".jeff" <jeff at members.evolt.org>
[...]
> sounds like a conflict of logic to me.  readers read from left to
> right. the most likely button to be default probably actually belongs
> on the left with each button in descending priority to its right.
> think of a dialog. there are many we encounter through the course of a
> day.
>
> OK and Cancel
> OK, Apply, and Cancel
> Yes, Yes to all, No, No to all, Cancel

this is a great point, and one i would have made as well, but for the
fact that this doesn't always happen... even the standards set in
Windows or MacOS, or any other GUI, sometimes get ignored by
the very developers who set those standards... there are many
times those buttons don't appear that way when you use a
computer, and for no good reason...

it's unfortunate, yes, but it happens... users have experienced it...

also, it depends on the use of the buttons... if they are buttons that
are similar in form and function to what you would get in those
dialog boxes, it's probably best to mimic those dialog boxes...

if those buttons instead imply direction, like 'previous,' 'stop,' 'next,'
or something like that, then certainly you have a situation where
the order isn't the same as a dialog box, and you *do* want to
ensure the third button has the focus...

> therefore, logic dictates that if your third button is the default,
> it's in the wrong spot.  rather than defy that logic (something users
> are unconsciously aware exists), evaluate that logic and determine as
> objectively as possible whether or not it applies to your case and if
> so how much.  i'll bet you'll find that the simplest doesn't involve
> script or some long-lost html trick, but rather something tried and
> true --  simply moving the elements.

great point, evaluating it is the best way to go... not trying to use
brute force scripting is also a good way to go...