[thelist] Anyone use Filemaker?

chris Johnston chris at fuzzylizard.com
Mon Aug 6 10:10:47 CDT 2001

Hello,

I have a client that wants me to create some form of application for him
that would allow him to preview photographs from a photoshoot to clients
and then have the client pick the ones that he/she would like to buy.
(Is there commercial software out there for this sort of thing?) Anyway,
the client currently uses Filemaker as his in office database. He would
also like this application to be portable to the web. I have never used
Filemaker and so would therefore like peoples opinions of it.

What do people think of Filemaker and more specifically, how does it
compare with MS Access? What are it's limitations and/or advantages and
how does it hold up to ODBC connectivity? Does it have any limitations
in terms of multiple connections and can it handle images (jpegs) being
stored directly in the database?

Currently I am thinking of building the application directly in
Filemaker and then simply connecting that to a website. Therefore, I
need to be able to store images right in the database and be able to
view the photos directly in Filemaker without having to open another
application. Is this possible?

Any help or opinions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

chris