[thelist] Am I infected?

Scott Dexter sgd at ti3.com
Mon Aug 6 11:01:36 CDT 2001

> No, I did not patch my server.

what?!

> I did receive email from someone named 'desert' on

Don't open it at all! The SirCam virus and Code Red are two different
things, affecting different software and having different methods. They
are not related....

> I have mostly ignored all the hubub about viruses and

<gulp>

> I am prepared to accept any advice as to how to
> proceed.

step 1, get informed =) --if you have an IIS web server you *need* to be
up to speed with security alerts and patches and whatnot. Above and
beyond being aware of worms and the like, it's important to keep up with
patches cause they fix bugs in the software...

Info on the SirCam virus:

http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.sircam.worm@mm.html

and on Code Red:

http://www.digitalisland.net/coderedalert/