[thelist] Yahoo! like HTML textarea

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Mon Aug 6 15:37:24 CDT 2001

> anyhow I post something like this about every year
> just in case someone's come across something - it'd
> be ideal to present a non-IE solution for html-free,
> client-updatable pages, blogs etc..

hi sam

this is going to sound like a commercial, and i apologize, but i recall
ektron webeditpro or whatever it's called uses a java plugin for netscape
users, internet explorer uses activex, i think -- but i haven't seen their
software for a couple years...it was nice, though, the familiar buttons, B
for bold, I for italic, and so on...

another approach instead of doing the rtf to html right there on a web page
with some fancy javascript or activex or plugin, is to have users paste
ordinary html code as text into a plain text textarea, don't try to convert
into html as part of the upload process, tell the users they have to show
up with good html already converted

uh oh, wait a minute

where is the non-techie supposed to *get* this html code from?  it would
have to come from some desktop wysiwyg tool, right?  (it would have to,
right?  be wysiwyg, i mean)

so it depends on the sophistication of the users and the nature of the task

for a blog you probably wouldn't want a whole lot more than <p>, <strong>,
and <a href>

for clients taking over maintenance of their own web sites, more complexity
is required

which i guess explains the existence of commercial software like ektron

rudy