[thelist] PHP v Perl

Dwayne dwayne at iconys.com
Thu Aug 9 11:04:33 CDT 2001

On Wednesday 08 August 2001 21:37, Charles F. Johnson wrote:
> In my experience, PHP scripts usually seem to run faster than Perl scripts
> as well. Which of course depends on many factors, but overall (and
> especially on shared servers where it's not easy to tweak Perl configs) PHP
> is more fleet of foot.

hmm...if you're talking about scripts invoked through standard CGI, i'll
wager you're right. but if you're comparing perl CGI scripts to PHP, you're
comparing different fruits. PHP is more of an application server. it runs all
the time, and doesn't go through CGI. this eliminates the two big bottlenecks
in CGI scripting of _any_ kind, not just perl.

a more equal comparison would be PHP vs (mod_perl || PerlEx || FastCGI), and
i'm not so certain of the winner there. perl's had a lot of years of
optimization.

- dwayne