[thelist] Cutting the fat from a page...help!

Michael Pemberton mpember at phreaker.net
Thu Aug 9 11:08:49 CDT 2001

The different browsers have different methods of allowing for compressed
scripts.

NS allows for the external scripts to be contained in a JAR files and this
is then references by putting "ARCHIVE='jarfile.jar'" in the <script> tag.

I haven't looked much into IE, but it involves the use of a CAB file
insteads of JAR.

The best option, however, is the try getting GZ compression running on your
server and simple put a copy of the files in a GZ version in the same
directories. In Apache Mod_GZ will take care of making sure that those that
can deal with GZ content will get the compressed version.