[thelist] Cutting the fat from a page...help!

Craig Saila crsaila at yahoo.ca
Thu Aug 9 13:36:28 CDT 2001

TRG wrote:
> Any thoughts would greatly be appreciated, I already
> swept the code for extra tags..just wondering about
> the scripts, etc.

Just by calling all the scripts as external JavaScript files, you will
save the size on other pages using the same scripts as it will be cached.

You mentioned you swept the code for extra tags, so I'm not sure if
you've also caught some of the bizarre redundant attributes (like
rowspan="1", and multiple <div align="left">) -- if not you should run
it through HTML Tidy or something similar. There are also chunks like this:

color="#FF0000"><b><br>

which could be cut down to (saving 0.08KB in this example alone):

  <th colspan="3">
size="+1">Web Designers...  Want to make more money?</font></p>
  </th>

Also considering using external, linked stylesheets, it will also reduce
the page-size greatly.

Cheers,

Craig Saila