[thelist] Email/Advertising Scam - Alert

Michele Foster michele at wordpro.on.ca
Sun Aug 12 20:37:25 CDT 2001

Hi Everyone,

I just received this email below.

___________________________

----- Original Message -----
From: <ridgewood77 at altavista.com>
To: <chagrus at techpointer.com>
Sent: Monday, August 13, 2001 12:20 AM
Subject: Please Pickup your Online Greeting

| Hello!  We're writing to let you know that someone has sent you a
greeting.

| To pick up your greeting, simply click on this link:
| http://www.GreetingCardsUSA.cc?aspickup.pd?i=710242162&m=1732&rr=y
|
| If your e-mail program doesn't recognize the above address as a link, just
| copy and paste the address into your web browser's "address" window.
|
| We hope you enjoy your greeting. If you have any questions feel free to
email
| us at the address below.
|
| Thanks!
|
| James Cordman
| james at GreetingCardsUSA.cc
| GreetingCardsUSA.cc
| Know one knows Greetings Like American Greetingz!
___________________________

The message looked very much legit.  I went to pick up the card, and was
told I needed a plug in to view it.  I was a bit suspicious, but clicked it
anyway.  In writing this note I just realized the To: field wasn't sent
directly to me.  DUH!

Turns out it is an advertising scam whereby they takeover your browser with
adverts.  One of the referring companies has posted the instructions on how
to get rid of this off your system.  Looks like an exercise in domain
spoofing or something at best. <sigh>

Take note of the URL http://www.greetingCardsUSA.cc

Anyway, just a heads up.

HTH someone,