[TheList] CSS diff - IE, NN, Mozilla, Opera

James Aylard webmaster at equilon-mrc.com
Mon Aug 13 13:51:21 CDT 2001

spinhead,

> Bingo! Opera is now happy with the CSS. Wasn't aware of the illegality of
> the underscore; guess I need to read up a bit. Thanks.

    Well, technically the underscore *is* allowed, but this is clarified
only in a recent modification to the CSS 2 errata document [1]. I believe
the most-recent versions of Mozilla and IE 6 beta will support the use of
the underscore in classes and ids, although I haven't yet tested them. Opera
adheres to the full CSS 2 specification, but will presumably be updated at
some point to accommodate underscores.
    Nonetheless, it is clear that its use on the Internet, where it isn't
possible to dictate browser make and version, is risky and should be
avoided.

James Aylard

1. http://www.w3.org/Style/css2-updates/REC-CSS2-19980512-errata.html#x4