[thelist] Perl: when to close sendmail

Chuck Sumpter frodo_tx at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 16:10:14 CDT 2001

============> code went here, trimmed to please list overlord
> Will there be any problems if I open and close sendmail each time a
> message is sent? Does it increase chances of a sendmail crash, or put
> too much stress on the server? Is there a better way to do this? Any help
> would be much appreciated.

Tony,

Here is a snipet of code that I had in a perl script to send e-mails out to
users asking for some action on their part.   I was processing an extract from
a DB and deciding who to send emails' to.  I never did an open/close, just
populated some vars with the "stuff" to send and then did this within the while
loop that ground through the file...

<CODE>
%mail = ( To  => $user_addr,
  	  From	=> $admin_addr,
	  Subject => $subject,
  	  Message	=> "@msg_to_user"
	);

        sendmail(%mail) or die $Mail::Sendmail::error;

	++$email_sent;
</CODE>

I generated 5k plus messages with no problems....however it is a big server on
an intranet.  Maybe someone else has a better idea.  That's the good thing
about Perl, 1000 ways to do most things :)

HTH,

Chuck

oops, almost forgot "use Mail::Sendmail;" up front...  :\