[thelist] Scanning line art?

Pat Meeks pmeeks at email.msn.com
Tue Aug 14 11:11:55 CDT 2001

Chris...

If your final output for line art is 120 lpi or higher print media, then you
will need to scan at the highest possible setting of your scanner (much
higher than 300 dpi, which is fine for most halftone and color work but
won't work for line art) and save it as a tiff file -- ideally at the final
output size.

"Real World Scanning and Halftones", by Blatner, Fleishman and Roth, has
some good techniques for scanning line art when you don't have a good,
high-res scanner. For the web, you will want to save the scan as a gif file,
and as recommended before, 72 dpi is just fine.

Three places to learn more about scanning are:

http://www.scantips.com/
http://www.infomedia.net/scan/
http://freebyte.com/scancalculator/

Pat

> I was wondering what the best settings/save format to scan line art in is.
> Bitmap.  Something that allows for high-res print but also web if need
be...