[thelist] I want to be a good evolter :)

Joe Crawford jcrawford at avencom.com
Tue Aug 14 15:49:58 CDT 2001

Kevin Stevens wrote:
> Sorry about the title, couldn't think of anything else to put. I am trying
> to get my pages to validate and I'm running into a couple of problems. I
> want to encourage people to buy their own domain names, so, on the relevant
> page of my site, I have included the code from Easily (http://easily.co.uk)
> for clients to check the availability of their desired domain name.
> Unfortunately, their code does not validate, and there is no way around it.
> The line in question is...

> background="http://easily.co.uk/images/external/logoback2.gif">

Instead use:
	style="background-image:
url(http://easily.co.uk/images/external/logoback2.gif)">

> and the doctype is...

Use the 4.01 doctype instead, it's a bit more liberal.

> Apparently, you cannot use "background" in a <table> tag. I'm trying really
> hard to do this properly, but I am going to have to leave it as is if there
> is no proper workaround. The whole page in question is at
> http://www.ratking.co.uk/domain.html .
>
> There is a second problem on this page caused by the style sheet. When I
> tried to validate this it told me I had to stick "background-color" after
> everything. This causes half of the Easily portion of the page to disappear
> so, once again, anyway round this?

You can use background-color: transparent; to get around this CSS
validation pitfall.

> N.B. I realise that the css controlling the scroll bars doesn't validate
> either, which is quite irritating. Is this because it is an IE specific
> thing?

If you like, you can put your IE specific CSS in an MSIE.css file --
then reference it something like:

in the <head> of your document.

Hope this make sense - just had lunch and am a wee bit sleepy. :-)

HTH!

	- Joe <http://artlung.com/>
--
...................  Joe Crawford \\ Web Design & Development
.....  mailto:jcrawford at avencom.com \\ http://www.avencom.com