[thelist] help! i need some content.

Morbus Iff morbus at disobey.com
Wed Aug 15 08:53:36 CDT 2001

 >i have content.... but i need more :)

 From your original message:
 >unfortunately, i have nothing to put in the site (its still in development).

What I'd ultimately suggest is to try and reinvent the wheel but not
reinvent the idea. So, in other words:

  - don't reinvent the "idea" of a tutorial based site. unless you've
    got a large cadre of people checking the tutorials for
    excellency and correctness, the site is just gonna die a horrible
    death, and/or become known as a "misgiver of information" (cos
    something that's explained in a tutorial is miscorrect or bad
    form).

  - instead, reinvent the wheel. take a look at any page of amazon.
    try to recreate that page locally using php and html. use the
    php documentation to help you - there's a lot already there.
    once you have a page created, try making a sub-site of
    books from amazon, all dynamically checked against other
    pages and so forth.

It comes down to one core belief:

   "don't try to be a teacher for others if you're learning yourself"

You said in a previous message you wanted to use this to gain experience.
That's great! But don't cause confusion for other newbies (which site
should I read? which doc should I trust?) whilst you learn. It's much
better to put on a resume "recreated amazon.com using php and html, and
improved the site by stressing standards and css" than "created a tutorial
site with hundreds of people contributing".

The first sounds like your smart. The second sounds like nothing more than
a static page creation that monkeycodes the works of other as content.

My 2 cents.

--
Morbus Iff ( i am your scary godmother )
http://www.disobey.com/ && http://www.gamegrene.com/