[thelist] Splash Pages & The Great Unwashed

J. Blanchard jay.blanchard at thermon.com
Wed Aug 15 12:52:16 CDT 2001

Fellow Evolters,

I need opinions and experiences about running/designing/using splash pages as the entry point to a web site. I have, in all but a few circumstances, abhorred them because it is one additional click to the message/product/service that a web site, especially a corporate/commercial site. I find them as annoying as the amount of 'slashes' used in this post! So, I need the good, the bad, and the ugly on this topic as some of the folks I work with want one for the new site, because they want more flash to the site. I know I can design one within the rules (pages sizes not to exceed 30Kb, use of the accessibility caveats, etc.). Is it wrong to hate them, or should I just give peace a chance? The opinion is split within the confines of the 'team' too, some siding with me about getting the customer to the stuff they need in the least amount of clicks.

Thanks for all your help!

Jay Blanchard
Web Development Manager
Thermon Manufacturing Company
1.800.820.HEAT x327

<tip author="J. Blanchard" type="work space">Are you into crunch time with deadlines and milestones reaching up to bite you? Place a 'Do Not Disturb' sign on the door to cut way down on those lookie-loo's and drop-in visitors. They will honor it unless they really need something important, and you can actually get more work done.</tip>

Visit http://www.visto.com.
Find out  how companies are linking mobile users to the
enterprise with Visto.