[thelist] excellent article

Jay Greenspan jay at trans-city.com
Wed Aug 15 13:11:09 CDT 2001

I was at OSCON last month, and some of the things you hear there are
amazing. One guy, who I know to be very bright, told me that _no_
high-volume sites use IIS -- they're all using *nix. It's so silly it's
laughable.

At OSCON, there seemed to be a general belief that .NET services will
indeed happen. Brian Bellendorf, Tim O'Reilly, the guys at Ximian,
DotGNU, and others seemed to be resigned to this future. At this point,
I don't believe it's an equivalent of Push. Not at all.

I point to this article because I really believe that OSS has
contributed a ton to our lives -- as developers and users of the Web.
But from what I see, MS has the potential of owning a large portion of
the Web if a reasonable alternative doesn't come around.

And while the improvements in Apache 2.0 are nice (multi-threading,
protocol abstraction) they're hardly revolutionary. I talked to Ryan
Bloom at *last year's* OSCON when he said 2.0 was around the corner.
Aint done yet.

-j