[thelist] Need some good usability feedback.

phil crawford crawford_phil at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 15 14:38:52 CDT 2001

Hi Ryan,

I've been looking at survey apps for use at the State of Wisc., so based on
that, here is my feedback.

note: We are more looking at function rather than look with our surveys.
(Don't have to worry about brand very much since we are a monopoly,
basically.)  So, my perspective is to concentrate on function and usability,
look doesn't really matter.

1. The buttons you have used don't jump out at me as buttons.  Standard
buttons, do, however.  Although they look cooler, this would be a negative
when making the decision.

2. About 85% of our users use IE and the <label> tag would increase
usability for them.  Fitts's law kinda thing.

3. I was using NN 4.5, win2k and sometimes the text boxes didn't show up.
Sometimes they did.

4. Not sure if this is an option, but when going through a survey/wizard,
many people want to know how many steps they have left.  So, step x of y,
might be good information to display in a survey.

I like the look of the surveymonkey.com home page.  Nice and clean and well
organized.  However, you may want to consider branding under an additional
name.  I would be more comfortable taking a recomendation to my boss if the
name were more professional than surveymonkey.

-phil