[thelist] excellent article

Daniel J. Cody djc at starkmedia.com
Wed Aug 15 15:42:27 CDT 2001

Jay Greenspan wrote:
> I was at OSCON last month, and some of the things you hear there are
> amazing. One guy, who I know to be very bright, told me that _no_
> high-volume sites use IIS -- they're all using *nix. It's so silly it's
> laughable.

Ya, that is laughable.. Of course, zealots are found on both sides of
the fence.. ;)

> At OSCON, there seemed to be a general belief that .NET services will
> indeed happen. Brian Bellendorf, Tim O'Reilly, the guys at Ximian,
> DotGNU, and others seemed to be resigned to this future. At this point,
> I don't believe it's an equivalent of Push. Not at all.

Regarding Push, I meant the technology behind it(and 'web services'). I
think they share a lot in common, including marca, Chris Hassett, Ray
Lane and others all showcasing Push as The Thing at comdex '97 :)

> I point to this article because I really believe that OSS has
> contributed a ton to our lives -- as developers and users of the Web.

+1 in "Rebel Code", Glyn Moody brings up a point that not many people
realize: without Apache in the mid-late 90's, we'd most certainly have
Microsoft Internet pages and a Netscape Internet pages where the MS
server would only serve to MS clients, likewise with Netscape

Thankfully, there was open source software; apache in this case..

> But from what I see, MS has the potential of owning a large portion of
> the Web if a reasonable alternative doesn't come around.
>
> And while the improvements in Apache 2.0 are nice (multi-threading,
> protocol abstraction) they're hardly revolutionary. I talked to Ryan
> Bloom at *last year's* OSCON when he said 2.0 was around the corner.
> Aint done yet.

I remember when Ryan Bloom *joined* httpd-dev from IBM and was talking
about it then, going on 4 years ago!

I agree mostly with what you're saying Jay, but I think for *the most
part*, we're OK. Open Source, as we well know, has the ability to
quickly(quickest?) adapt to fluxuating markets and demand. More so than
a 800lb gorilla. <insert ESR's essays here>

.djc.