[thelist] Setting parent layer height to max. child layer height

Lionbridge Webmaster webmaster at lionbridge.com
Thu Aug 16 12:39:36 CDT 2001

Do any of you DHTML gurus out there know how to set the height of a parent
layer to that of a child layer? For example, I have a parent layer
relatively positioned within a table cell. Within that parent layer are
several child layers of varying height, absolutely positioned one on top of
the other, with the height the layers not set (i.e., is based upon the
amount of text in the layer). Since parent layers don't inherit attributes
from child layers, I've got problems with text spilling outside of the table
cell when the amount of text in a child layer is more than a certain amount.

Is there a cross-browser way to make the parent layer's height increase to
that of the tallest child layer?

--Ben Gustafson
  Webmaster
  Lionbridge Technologies