[thelist] IE5 layout error

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 17 14:59:08 CDT 2001

> From: Jason Morehead <jmorehead at digitalIMS.com>
[...]
> i've found a little design glitch that seems to only affect IE5 for
> windows.  check out http://www.childresproducts.com/.  the page should
> load fine.  then click on "refresh".  a white line (or 2) will appear
> through through the "welcome" graphic.  but then resize the window, or
> move it, or bring another window to the front and then go back to the
> browser window, and the line(s) is gone.  the same thing will happen
> on the internal pages.
>
> for the life of me, i can't figure out why.  the graphic is actually
> two graphics, in two rows of the same table.  i've looked at the code,
> and even tried laying out the table in a different way, but i can't
> get rid of those white lines.  the thing is that it only appears in
> IE5 for windows.  i can't replicate it in IE5 for mac, or in netscape
> (either platform).

known bug:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q277/5/71.ASP

Internet Explorer 5.5 Adds Scan Lines Between JPEG Images

Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.5 for Windows 98 Second
Edition
Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.5 for Windows NT 4.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.5 for Windows 2000

SYMPTOMS
If JPEG images are tiled horizontally, Internet Explorer 5.5 may
add an additional scan line between the images that matches the
background color in Internet Explorer. This occurs only during the
download of images from a site. If the images are cached or are on
the hard disk, this problem does not occur. The problem does not
occur with .gif images.

WORKAROUND
This problem does not occur with .gif files. If possible, use .gif files
as a workaround.

NOTE: If the jpg images are pre-loaded using jScript, the extra
scan lines may disappear after the page finishes downloading.

STATUS
Microsoft has confirmed this to be a problem in the Microsoft
products that are listed at the beginning of this article.