[thelist] [OT] Gift Culture on the Net: A Rant

Frank framar at interlog.com
Sun Aug 19 16:34:25 CDT 2001

>  I want you to tell me, to my face, that you have the
>  right to my source code even if I don't want to share.
>  Yes, I would be a better person if I shared, but if I
>  don't, that's my choice.

There is indeed a difference between gift culture and warez culture.
In the first, an author makes a conscious decision to give. The the
second the person may have not made the choice, and it was taken. At
a fundamental level, it is theft.

Now, someone comes along and says, here's a decryption program. I
wrote it, and make it available. I have no problem with that. He is
giving away his own work. Thanks! At that point, the one who accepts
the gift is responsible for the usage. Double emphasis on the last
statement.

The only issue here that I see is truly in play is the issue of privacy.

I can understand one encrypting professional work, from which money
is made. There may be ways of thinking that sets one work apart, and
makes it more saleable. We call these trade secrets. Don't steal and
use someone's trade secrets. It's not nice. Create the conditions in
which the information will be freely shared. Make a deal with them,
join the company, or get them drunk and persuade them to talk. Just
so long as no harm comes to person or property.

The other side of the coin is that I may want to examine your work
before I purchase it. I need to see that your work will be
serviceable to me should I choose to pay for it. It's one form of
'consumer beware'. So long as I, an honorable person choose to
respect your ability to make money based on your ideas, there is no
problem (even though you fear there might be one).

My personal philosophy is that I will always do the very best work I
can. I will either charge for it, or I will give it away. I as an
author have the right to encrypt all my work. I believe that someone
else has the right to decrypt it. They DO NOT have the right to make
use of it, or to use any secrets they may have gleaned from it
without my explicit consent.

The question always boils down to this: Who do I trust to be treat me
with honour. We know many will not. It's a fact of life. We know that
an equal number will. That's a fact of life as well. I don't fight
software pirates, I keep them in account when I build my business
model. If I truly want a secret kept, I keep it to myself.

--

Where there's a will, there's a way.

Frank Marion                      Loofah Communications
frank at loofahcom.com               http://www.loofahcom.com