[thelist] Re: I am looking into the possibility of replacing my

Kevin krr at ix.netcom.com
Sun Aug 19 22:20:14 CDT 2001

> Message: 20
> From: "rick" <rolson at otn.net>
> To: <thelist at lists.evolt.org>
> Subject: Re: [thelist] I am looking into the possibility of replacing my
> Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2001 15:14:04 -0700
> charset="iso-8859-1"
>
> RAID 0 (striping) has excellent read/write performance.  So, I believe
this
> would be ideal for your setup since you're working with big files.  The
big
> drawback of striping is that if one drive is lost in your array, then ALL
> the data is lost.  With a RAID 0 setup, your chances for a crash are now
2x
> what they were.
>
> rick

This may be totally off the wall but I was thinking of setting up a RAID 0
setup
for a small portion of my hard drives to work more efficiently.
When the work is finished I was thinking that the best choice for storage
would be a large 60 - 80 gig hard drive for this data.

I was hoping it would be possible to setup a server to hold my utilites,
firewall, virus, IIs services, Coldfusion, SQL, and use the administration
facilities of win2k to automatically transfer selected files to long term
storage
"IE: 60 - 80 gig drive", after I have completed the work. This of course
would
happen invisibly. As a user I wouldn't need to be aware this was happening.

If I did  need to rework the files after they have been transfered out of
the
RAID 0 area I am thinking that I could create a copy of the same data onto
the Raid segment of my storage area "for lack of  a better adjective" and
then once again when all is finished the data would be transfered to the
archieved
area for storage.

I hear what your saying about the risks of lossing my data but I am not sure
if I have read you correctly. What your saying is that one disk crashes I
lose all data. O.K. I can live with that.This is my own system in my home
office, And as such monitoring the health of my drives is done
automatically.
At least the new drives promise that health monitoring is part of the
package.

So the question then would be is there more too that last on crashes than I
read
into it? And also how does the arrangement I have envisioned for my drives
pan
out?

Any insight would be appreciated

Thank You