[thelist] Site critique please :)

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Tue Aug 21 10:20:14 CDT 2001

At 8/21/2001 12:51 PM, you wrote:
>http://www.photokyo.com

Hi Christian,

First off, it's my first visit to your site so I can't compare it to
previous versions. Sorry.

That said, I'll just wade right in.

- The ad in the top right corner seems very out of place, it also seems to
sit too closely to the blue curve element.

- The black or dark blue used in the links at left make it hard to tell
which are links and which are not. Not having a different colour for
visited links doesn't help either.

- The little tab with the title "Currently on Photokyo" looks rather
incongruous. It just sits there all on its own.

- Resizing the browser to a narrow enough width (or having the text size
set large enough) causes the text accompanying the Featured Area or
Featured People photos to wrap under them. That kinda spoils the effect for
me. Maybe use a table so the text will always stay to the right of the photo.

- I'm not too clear what this line is for: "Tokyo Japan - Life in Tokyo -
Photos of Tokyo - Photos of Japan (its all here!)" Is that your site's
tagline? It actually looks like it should be links. You should probably
lose the part in parentheses. If you don't, it should be "it's all here",
not "its...".

- All of the images with curves - the dark blue one above and the arrows in
circles on the left look very "dirty" around the edges.

- I couldn't find a link back to the front page on any of the subpages.

- Consider having the cells not change colour onmouseover when there's no
link, specifically "your name here", "chat", "shopping"

- Why not make the whole "New users sign up!" text a link instead of just
the "sign up" part

- Consider tightening up your link titles, specifically by removing the
"click here to..."

hope these help.

regards.
-marc