[thelist] Can flash pass data to something other than a web server?

am watson at cabal.st
Tue Aug 21 15:51:24 CDT 2001

I know Flash 5 can send a stream of data to a web server using
getURL.  Can I have the data sent to a local text file or database
software (like Access) instead?

If Flash movies won't, will Shockwave movies?

Why I ask:
I have to develop internal web forms which can't have web access
as a prerequisite.  No, not even PWS running on the client machine.
 It will take too long to buy and deploy a few thousand Acrobat
copies to our field staff (which we'll buy eventually).  I need
something with Flash or Acrobat's scripting power but doesn't involve
submitting a purchase order and doesn't require a web server in
order to save data.  Ain't government work grand?
----
Caution: meet wind.