[thelist] Can flash pass data to something other than a web server?

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Tue Aug 21 17:23:45 CDT 2001

On Tue, 21 Aug 2001 16:46:01 -0400, "am" <watson at cabal.st> wrote:

> I know Flash 5 can send a stream of data to a web server using
> getURL.  Can I have the data sent to a local text file or database
> software (like Access) instead?
>
> If Flash movies won't, will Shockwave movies?

I can't comment on Flash, but Director (the app that produces shockwave
files) can do this easily. It's been a while since I've got down and
dirty with Director (damn I miss using that app), but it's ability to
deal with external files is second to none.

You could use it to produce a psuedo database using text files, but you
can also, through an extra (think of them as Director plugins) produced
by Datagrip (http://www.datagrip.com) write and retrieve data from an
Access .mdb file.

If you need any more info, just shout. Jon (of MM fame) should also be
able to supply you with some more info on the specifics. As I say, It's
been a while since I've used Director.

G.