[thelist] Documentation on the interface 'twixt PHP and MySQL?

databarn databarn at airmail.net
Tue Aug 21 21:38:51 CDT 2001

Hm-m-m-m, I dunno either <grin!>.

Yes I do:  it is helpful.

I'm in the process of going through a "Visual Blueprint" PHP tutorial.  Pretty bad as a teaching tool, but not too bad as a learning tool.  So many errors, that I'm really having to think my way through to get the samples to work.  Unfortunately, the chapter on MySQL is a little worse than the rest of the book, bypassing all mention of errors and how to detect them.

I'm trying to switch over to Linux/Apache/PHP/MySQL or PostgreSQL.  With a background of VB/ASP, Access/SQL Server, and Microsoft in general, all I really knew to look for was error numbers, and searching on the PHP docs I have was ineffectual - because, of course, I was searching for the wrong thing.

However, it's difficult for me to believe that there's not a fairly comprehensive listing of at least the most common error returns.  Reason I'm looking is because the error that initiated this request turned out to be related to the php.ini file, and not to a database problem or coding error, per se.  Being dim, I didn't realize that, and didn't find it in any of the FAQs I found - or didn't recognize it.

Oh, well, I guess I just take a few more lumps than I'd orignally thought when I started this conversion <sigh!>.

Thanks, Joe.  Don't know if these would have found the error I had, but they'll certainly help as I go forward with the MySQL stuff.

Make a good day . . .
			 . . . barn
Advice is like snow; The softer it falls the longer it dwells upon And the deeper it sinks into the mind - Samuel Taylor Coleridge
From:	Joe Crawford [jcrawford at avencom.com]
Time:	8/21/2001 at 8:03PM

{snip}
Have you tried calling mysql_error() and mysql_errno():

http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-error.php
http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.mysql-errno.php

As for a list of all /possible/ errors - not sure.

Helpful? Dunno.