[thelist] Question: E-commerce solution

Garrett Coakley garrett at polytechnic.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 11:35:05 CDT 2001

On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 11:48:14 -0400, "Catherine Giayvia"
<giayvia at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm researching an e-commerce solution for my company. We need
> something as flexible as possible, which would allow us to not
> only design the look of the storefront, but also be hosted by
> us, and allow us to inventory to our own oracle database.

One option you might want to look at is The Exchange Project
(http://www.theexchangeproject.org). It's a GPL'd store system that I'm
playing with quite a bit here.

It's written in PHP using MySQL, but there's talk on the development
list (check out the Forums link at the top of the page) of introducing a
db abstraction layer and as it's open source you can see how it works
internally, and tweak to your hearts content.

May not do what you want right away, but it could be a good base to
build on.

G.